The new year hast just started and the New Year’s resolutions are still very much in my mind, so I thought i use the flow and give you some quick words and a new recipe.
How has the new year been so far for you? I slept in very long yesterday, and then spent the whole evening with my family at my grandparents’ to give them all their good wishes!
In Germany it is tradition that all the kids get very big soft prezels (not the Oktoberfest-kind, but sweet ones) from their godparents and money from their relatives. Also, if you want to make sure, that you won’t be out of money anytime in the new year, you will eat Sauerkraut on the new years day. That’s what my parents and I did yesterday!!
Do you have any New-Years’ traditions?
So let’s come to the recipe. Another great snack to bring to any kind of party or friends house!! It uses apples and onions which are a great combination especially in autumn and this time of year. We still have apples from our own trees in our garage waiting to be used!
Apple and onion swirls (Apfel-Zwiebel Schnecken)
I took this recipe from here.
250ml lukewarm Water
1 package (42g) of fresh yeast
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 big apples
100g speck (or gammon)
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt, pepper and majoran
100g grated cheese (Emmentaler)
1 egg yolk
1. Dissolve the yeast in the water. Then put all the ingredients for the dough together and knead until it is a nice dough.
2. For the filling peel onions and apples. Cut speck, onions and apples into small cubes and roast gently in a pan. Season to taste with salt, pepper and majoran. Take care with the salt, as the speck usually is quite salty on its own!
3. Halve the dough and coast one into a rectangle shape (about 20×30 cm wide). Sprinkle half the onion-apple mix and half the cheese on top. Roll the dough up starting from on of the smaller sides and cut pieces from 1-2 cm from it. But it on baking paper on a sheet and repeat with the other half of the dough.
4. Whisk the egg yolk with a bit of water and coat the swirls with it.
5. Put the sheets into the oven. Back at 200°C for 25-30 minutes.